• 95% of your serotonin is manufactured in your gut, and
• 80% of your immune system is located in your gut?
If you are finding that despite eating cleanly, you are still experiencing allergies, intolerances, or an inability to lose weight, here are four simple actions you can take to improve your health.
1. A key component to weight loss and digestion are enzymes. You have natural digestive enzymes to break down the food you eat. Stomach acid allows your body to secrete bile and supports your own digestive enzymes. But if your stomach acid level is low, digestion will slow down, which can contribute to allergies and an inability to lose weight.
2. I cannot urge you enough to add a good quality probiotic ( Contact me for recommendations) and cultured foods to your regime if you are not experiencing weight loss. I recommend that people with IBS, autoimmune, and other digestive disorders take at least 25-50 billion CFU per day.
3. Research shows that proper food combining can help you lose weight, improve digestion and increase energy. Luckily, there are very simple rules to follow when it comes to eating the right combination of foods for optimal digestion and nutrient assimilation.
• EAT FRUIT ALONE: Fruit digests itself, passing through the digestive system within 20 minutes. By eating fruit on its own, you avoid fermentation occurring in your gut. Fermentation can lead to gas, rob you of energy, and slow down your digestion.
• EAT STARCHES WITH VEGETABLES: Starches require different digestive enzymes than proteins to break them down, and when the two are eaten together the enzymes tend to neutralize each other. So grains and starchy vegetables such as baked potatoes, sweet potatoes, or sweet corn should be eaten alone or with other vegetables. Feel free to add a healthy fat.
• PROTEIN AND VEGETABLES: Unlike starches, proteins require an acidic environment for ideal digestion, so it is best to eat protein with vegetables and a healthy fat. When you add a starch, you force your body’s natural enzymes to compete to digest your food.
4. If you find that you still are having digestive issues, then drink some lemon water elixir 20 minutes before meals (in addition to your morning serving). The raw apple cider vinegar encourages digestion and the growth of beneficial bacteria and supports healthy bile flow.
Yours in Wellness